Main topics of lectures and njurs
Auquaintance with gems and thier properties. Resources of gemstones in Russia and neighbouring countries. Legends about gemstones and their magic properties.
Guides will tell visitors about gemstones and their classification, based on market-value and areas of application stones. Gems properties include crystal habitus, mechanical and optical properties. Astrological influence of mascots and amulets can be explained primarily by the psychotherapeutic effect of color and natural harmony of gems. The museum employees created “The map of gemstone raw materials deposits of Russia and neighboring countries” and use it during excursions.
2. Treasures of the soil. Mineral deposits. The most important geological-economical types of gemstones deposits. Visitors will learn about different classifications of minerals, get aquainted with concept of ore minerals and non-metallic minerals deposits and their provinces. They will also get the idea of genetic types of these deposits. The genetic display in the gallery will help them to do it. More attention will be paid to geological-economic types of jewel and ornamental stones deposits. Decorative collection stones present a separate group and form separate deposits very rarely.
3. The history of stone-cutting development. Stone-cutting industry in Russia, proccessing of gemstones. The era of wide usage of gems in Russia began when gem deopsits were found in Urals and Siberia after the reforms of Peter I and St. Petersburg construction. Russian jewelry and stone-cutting artworks became famous all over the world in XIX - XX thanks to masterpieces of Faberge artists. Unique works of Konovalenko continued and developed old traditions. The excursion includes information anout methods of stone proccessing. Guides will tell about charachteristics of different ways of gems cutting, depending on their optical properties.This topic is very popular due to beautiful decoration of showcases in the rooms 2 and 3 – there one can find unique faceted stones and jewell works of art.
4. Palaeontology, faunal stratigraphy and geochronology. History of origin and evolution of life on Earth. Geological disasters. Popigai and other astro problems. This excursion is held in paleontological room, which is arranged in very impressive way. Not long ago the display was siginifically enlarged as the Paleontological institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences had presented a lot of exhibits and teaching aids to the museum. These objects were found during field works in the previous years. There are about 300 exhibits belonging to 80 paleontological types, including the skeleton of pareiasaurs and the skeleton of mammot, which is not completely assemled yet.During the excursion visitors will learn about paleontology – science, which studies flora and fauna of past ages using findings of fossils, their prints and remnants of ancient animals life activity. The separate branch of archeology is a faunal stratigraphy – it deals with defining the relative age of sedimentary rocks using the ancient organisms findings.The visitors will also learn about geochronology, which is the science defining absolute age of rocks and geological events using radiological methods. According to the existing hypothesis the scientists explain the relations between the abiogenesis and cosmic factors, including falling of big cosmic bodies – asteroids. The Popigai astro problem is one of the biggest evidences of such events in the world. In this room there is also a collection of diamantiferous impact rocks, geological scheme of Popigai astro problem, which is also one of the biggest technical diamond deposits in the world.
5. Facing and decorative stones. The most important geological and economical types of deposits, resources. The manufacturing procedure. The room for this excursion was arranged not long ago. Here one can find facing tiles made of different kinds of rocks of Russian deposits and also the deposits of the former USSR republics and other countries: Italy, Greece, India. Besides, decorative facing stones and gems of Central region and Moscow region of Russia are very well presented there. During the excursion visitors get aquainted with characteristics of these rocks, manufacturing procedure, peculiarities of the deposits of different regions of Russia and neighbouring countries.
6. General excursion – acquaintance with the museum. It is the most popular excursion among those who visit the museum for the first time. Special excursions of two levels are intended for schoolchildren, they were prepared according to the school curriculum (5-7 and 8-11 forms). During the excursions participants will get information about the most widespread minerals and rocks, main geological processes, mineral deposits. Working with schoolchildren we found out, that the information about geology and mineralogy they get in the museum help to understand such school subjects as natural science, geography, chemistry. Students who study geology and related sciences often visit the museum. For them the museum collection is an additions source of knowledge.